Almost every parent I have ever spoken to wishes they could be more organised! Whether it is getting up on time, and not having to rush to get everyone out of the door, or getting some form of routine in place that works when it comes to the evenings, I’ve no doubt that many of us would jump at the chance to claw back an extra hour or two for ourselves in any one given day!
As a busy mother of two, these are the tips that I have been testing for the last few weeks, in a bid to try and save myself time where it matters the most. There are only three of them so far but, as they are my current main problem areas, it makes more sense to tackle these first and head on:
- Get it all done the night before: Okay so you’ve heard this plenty of times before. I hear you, because so have I! And usually I scoff each time. However as much as I hate to admit it, the professionals are right about this one! When you plan and organise the next day the evening before, you have an easier morning and subsequent more productive day.
What I do the night before:
- Make and place all packed lunches in the fridge, including my own!
- Get all uniforms, clothes, shoes, coats and even underwear laid out for easy access
- Pack all bags, including paperwork, books etc
- Plan a rough time table for the next day
- Tackle that washing head on: I am cringing even whilst writing about this, such is washing the bane of my life since having a family. But the washing has always been my biggest pet hate. I have had to find a way to cope with it and that is by putting it on, getting it dried immediately after and then forcing myself to put it away. If not, it will build-up in piles until we either fall over it or alternatively run out of clean underwear – which is never great!
- Online Shopping: My savour! That’s not to say that I don’t use local markets for fresh fruit and veg, but the main bulk of my shop is done online, freeing up my family time as there is nothing worse than dragging tired and emotional kids and adults around the shops in the evening or at weekends! This way, when we do venture out to the markets, it is a more fun and mellowed experience!
Though I have only been implementing these tips for a few weeks myself, I am already starting to see a more relaxed and stress-free environment, especially in the mornings. Perhaps, by incorporating these small, but effective, tips into your own home life, you too could start to see a change for the better?