1.4l vegetarian stock
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5cm knob galangal or ginger, sliced
2 whole stalks lemongrass, peeled and chopped in 7.5cm (3in) pieces
3 kaffir lime leaves
2 tsp thai chilli garlic paste
1 tsp sea salt
1½ tsp sugar
2 tbsp white soy sauce (or light soy sauce)
Juice of 1 lime
175g oyster mushrooms, trimmed
8 cherry tomatoes
175g firm tofu, diced
120ml coconut milk
680g fresh ramen noodles
45g spring onions, finely chopped
45g coriander, roughly chopped
1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
1. In a large pan over a medium heat, bring the vegetarian stock to a simmer.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves. Cover the pan and simmer for 30 min. Strain the broth, discarding the solids.
3. Bring the broth back up to a simmer and add the thai chilli garlic paste, salt, sugar, white soy sauce, lime juice (to taste), oyster mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, tofu, and coconut milk. Simmer for 5 min.
4. While the broth is simmering, in a large pan of boiling water over a high heat, cook the ramen noodles for 50 sec, stirring occasionally. If you can’t find fresh ramen noodles, follow the pack instructions for dried ramen noodles. Drain, rinse, and divide between 4 deep serving bowls.
5. Fill the bowls with the hot broth, just covering the noodles. Garnish each bowl with the spring onions and coriander and serve with the lime wedges.